2018 ANZSWWER Symposium
‘Disruptive Social Work’
Date: Thursday 20th – Friday 21st September 2018
Venue: Flinders University, Adelaide SA – Bedford Park Campus
National Field Education Networking Day
Date: Wednesday 19th September 2018
Venue: Flinders University, Adelaide SA- Tonsley Campus
2018 Call for Abstracts
We invite you to submit an abstract for the ANZSWWER 2018 Symposium, to be held at Flinders University, Adelaide on 20th and 21st of September 2018.
Closing Date: Thursday 31st May 2018
The unifying topic for the 2018 Symposium, Disruptive Social Work is focussed on 3 main themes: Compelling Demands, New Settings, and Enduring Purpose. We look forward to robust discussion on your interpretations of these themes, focussed on research, education and practice in social work.
In particular we seek contributions that open up exploration of the three main themes through these questions and subthemes. Examples include:
- Compelling demands: Analysis and communication. What are the demands within our societies that will confront social work over the next generation? How can we best analyse and communicate about our understanding of these demands? How do we set a research agenda?
- Compelling demands: Change leadership and response. What does the marketisation of welfare mean for the role of social work over the next 30 years? Do we lead or are we pushed? Where does social work education fit in?
- New settings: Intersectionality. What are the creative possibilities? What does Social Work contribute that is distinctive and comprehensive? How do we prepare the next generation of social workers for thinking and working intersectionally? How can we link social work research and participatory action?
- New settings: Diversity: where does innovation open up in this space? How can diversity disrupt social work education? Complexity: Unpacked, described, critiqued, valued… How do we de-stigmatise complexity through social work research and education?
- Enduring Purpose: Professionalisation and inter-professionalism…are they the right direction given demands and new settings? How do we convey a social work history that is both critical and inspiring for the next generation? Where does a commitment to de-colonisation lead us in education/research/practice? Are our values sufficiently relevant/resilient to take us into the next era?
- Enduring purpose: Knowledge and theory building: What role The University? The fields of practice? What does it mean to seek out the voice of those with whom we work? From where does the power for innovation and disruption emerge?
Instructions for submitting abstracts:
Abstracts for presentations at the ANZSWWER Symposium should be no more than 200 words in length
- Please put the title as a header on the abstract, followed by presenter(s) names, affiliations (i.e. workplace or sponsoring organisation) and contact email address of corresponding presenter.
- Advise whether you are preferring a presentation or a workshop
- Email a Word version of your abstract to:
with ‘ANZSWWER 2018 Abstract’ as the title.
- Closing date for receipt of abstracts is Thursday 31st May 2018
- Notification of acceptance of abstracts is Friday 29th June 2018
2018 Symposium Ticket Pricing
*Members of ANZSWWER receive a discounted price. JOIN HERE to become a member of ANZSWWER.
2018 ANZSWWER Awards – Nominations will be opening shortly
- We look forward to announcing recipients of these Awards at the 2018 Symposium.
2018 Symposium Travel and Accommodation
It is approximately a 20 minute car ride from the Adelaide CBD to Flinders University Bedford Campus and Tonsley Campus is located in the CBD. Further taxi and bus route details can be found below.
With the majority of participants travelling to attend this event, please find below accommodation suggestions including special codes for discounts below.
Hotel Grande Chancellor – King executive suite or Twin executive suite $175 per night. Guests can claim discount when using the code “ANZSWWER SYMPOSIUM 2018” HERE
Peppers Waymouth Hotel – Guests receive 10% off all online bookings at http://www.mghotels.com.au/ with the code ANZWWER Symposium 2018 *case sensitive*
Both accommodation rates are valid for stays from the 19th to the 23rd of September 2018.
Further details will be updated as available.
For all interim enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org